This season the USWCA sponsored Five Year & Under Bonspiels are again scheduled for ALL five Areas. Geographically located from east to west, the Areas are East, Central, Wisconsin, West I, and West II. Curling clubs across the country have recognized the importance of these events in providing new curlers with the opportunity to experience curling in other clubs, with curlers having the same skill levels, in positions they normally would not play. What an excellent way to promote curling. Pins for the winners and runners-up are provided by the USWCA, as is a traveling plaque that goes to the winning team. The plaque is engraved and passed on to the next host club. Curlers who have curled five years or less should take advantage of this wonderful opportunity and sign up to curl either as an individual or as a team in their area or in any of the other four areas for a more broadening experience.
For the first time, new curlers may choose to curl in more than one area and in either or BOTH events; the Five Year & Under Open Challenge, which is open to both men and women, and/or the Five Year & Under Women's Challenge, which is for women only. Either one provides a great opportunity for 5 or less year curlers to enjoy the bonspiel experience on an entirely new level. Choose to curl in the host club in your area, or broaden your horizons by curling in one of the other four areas. Host clubs have the option of giving teams from their area priority over teams coming from other areas, but in most instances teams from other areas are most welcome. Check below to see which clubs are hosting 5 Year & Under Bonspiels this season and sign up NOW!
- This season the Duluth Curling Club is excited to host the Five and Under Open Challenge on January 20 - 22, 2017. The Duluth Curling Club is one of the oldest, largest and most accomplished curling clubs in the United States; established in 1891. The club is located at the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center in downtown Duluth with a walkway from the popular "Holiday Center". It can be expanded to provide up to 13 curling sheets for major events; with 8 sheets of ice, they have grown to be the 2nd largest club in the U.S. Their Silver Broom Lounge was recently remodeled and looks down on the "8" sheets of ice with a perfect view, great food and all choices of beverages.
Even though they have hosted two World Championships, the Olympic Trials and numerous National Events, their club is also dedicated to new curlers and has a "new member curling league" and hosts a "new curlers' clinic" at the beginning of the season. So, it is no wonder that they would welcome new curlers and make sure they have a great time at their 5 & Under Open bonspiel in January.
- Last season the Four Seasons Curling Club from Blaine, Minnesota hosted the 5 & Under Open Bonspiel on December 12 - 13, 2015. They had 16 teams participate in this fun event. Congratulations go to the 1st Event Winners from the Four Seasons Curling Club: skip Craig Nicko, vice Cyndy Jerde, second Curt Crego, and lead Carrie Crego and the 1st Event Runners-up from Frogtown Curling Club: skip Brian Agre, vice Kate Momsen, second Max Currie, and lead Emily Rhode. This relatively new curling club did an excellent job making their new curlers feel welcome.
- This season the 5 & Under Open Challenge will be hosted by the Evergreen Curling Club on March 24 - 25, 2017. The Evergreen Curling Club is the only dedicated curling facility in the state of Oregon and only one of four in the continental U.S. west of the Rockies. New curlers should expect a warm welcome and a fun-filled curling weekend from this new four sheet club.
- Last season the 5 & Under Open Challenge was hosted by the Denver Curling Club on March 18 - 20, 2016. They had 8 teams participate with three out of state teams: the Coyotes Curling Club from Arizona, the Curling Club of Houston from Texas and the Four Seasons Curling Club from Minnesota. Congratulations went to the 1st Event Winners from the Four Seasons Curling Club: skip Craig Nicko, vice Cyndy Jerred, second Curt Crego, and lead Carrie Crego. The 1st Event Runners Up From the Denver Curling Club: skip Derek Anderson, vice Sara Cai, second Brian Brown, and lead Judy Brown. The Denver Curling Club had such a blast running their USWCA sponsored Sham-ROCK 5 & Under, that they are eager to host again. New curlers will again have the opportunity to curl at this great club.
- Wisconsin is hosting two 5 & Under Bonspiels this season.
- The 5 & Under Open Challenge will be hosted by the Centerville Curling Club on December 2 - 4, 2016. Their four sheet club is located at the heart of the birth of Wisconsin's original curling clubs and is only 30 minutes from La Cross, WI and 20 minutes from Winona, MN. Its location makes it easily accessible for teams to come not only from Wisconsin but also from their neighboring state, Minnesota, in the West I Area. Teams from any of the other areas are welcome as well. Meeting new curlers from around the country should make this a fun spiel to attend.
- The 5 & Under Women's Challenge will be hosted by the Blackhawk Curling Club located a the fairgrounds in Janesville, Wisconsin on February 24-25, 2017. Every season their club hosts a very popular women's bonspiel called "the First Chance". Women curlers from across the country, anticipate coming to this event. Therefore, they are the ideal club to host our 5 & Under Women's Challenge this season because they really know how to show women curlers a good time!
- Last season the club 21st Annual USWCA sponsored 5 Year and Under Open Challenge Bonspiel took place at the Racine Curling Club January 15 - 17, 2016. Sixteen teams competed on two sheets of ice in non-stop action. New friendships were born and a great time was had by all. Congratulations go to the winners of the 1st Event, the Lundbohm Rink from the Wauwatosa Curling Club with skip Nick Lundbohm, vice Phil Hansen, second Jeremy Rynders, and lead Tony Just. The 1st Event Runners-Up were the McGlynn Rink from Madison Curling Club with skip Bill McGlynn, vice Lauren Leckwee, second Ben Brewer, and lead Allan Veler. Because of the popularity of this event, it was a challenge limiting the number of teams to only sixteen. The Racine Curling Club did a great job with their two sheets of ice. Looking ahead, we will try to make sure that this popular bonspiel will be at clubs with MORE sheets of ice. Look forward to seeing this Club host a 5 & Under Women's Challenge in the future.
- This season the Detroit Curling Club is hosting the 5 & Under Open Challenge on January 21-22,2017. The Detroit Curling Club is one of the oldest curling clubs in the United States and the oldest athletic club in Michigan. Founded in 1885, the club provides members and guests opportunities to curl and participate in a variety of curling and social activities. Their facilities include a comfortable club house/viewing room, bar, four sheets of dedicated curling ice, lockers rooms, and ample parking. Their volunteer members are excellent hosts and will be sure to give our 5 & Under teams a warm welcome and a great curling experience.
- There were two 5 & Under bonspiels hosted by clubs in the Central Area last season.
- The 5 & Under Open Challenge was hosted by the Midland Curling Club on January 23 - 24, 2016. The 16 team bonspiel filled up so quickly that teams had to be turned away. The Midland Curling Club was impressed to have six different clubs from the Central Area represented in their finals. The first event winners were Team Lothamer from the Midland Curling Club - skip Doug Lothamer, vice Evan Bergman, second Brian Czech, and lead Josh Lauderman. Congratulations to the winning teams and a thank you to all the teams that participated. Everyone appreciated the Midland Curling Club for all their hard work hosting the event.
- On March 19 - 20, 2016, the Cleveland Skating Club in Cleveland, Ohio, hosted the 5 & Under Women's Challenge; the USWCA Central Shamrock Challenge for lady curlers. The club had six teams participating, all of whom were from Ohio: one team from the Cleveland Skating Club, one team from the Bowling Green Curling Club, and four teams from the Columbus Curling Club. The games were all close, the food was great, the laughs were plenty, and the camaraderie was wonderful! Congratulations to the winning team from Columbus: skip Lisa Kluchorsky, vice Kara Gustavson, second Leeanne Chandler, and lead Mary Kay Rohrkemper. Good Curling!
- The first USWCA sponsored 5 & Under Open Challenge Bonspiel this season was held at the Cape Cod Curling Club on October 28 - 29, 2016. They are a charming three sheet club located in Falmouth, Massachusetts. All agreed that Halloween was a great time to hold this event. It was a fun and successful spiel with twelve teams participating. In addition to the Cape Cod teams, there were two wheelchair curlers from Long Island and Connecticut, a team from Buck County and from Nashua, two South Shore teams, and a composite team from Norfolk/Nutmeg. The winning team was a Cape Cod team called the Boo Rocks with skip Mark Wilson, vice Will Gerlach, second Bill Waite, and lead Carolyn Wurm. A big 'Thank You' to the Cape Cod Curling Club and their terrific bonspiel committee for making this such an enjoyable spiel for the new curlers in their East Area.
- The Ardsley Curling Club hosted the first USWCA sponsored 5 Year & Under Bonspiel last season, aka the "Cool Duck", on the weekend of November 6 - 8, 2015. Twenty-four teams representing thirteen different clubs descended upon their three-sheet club for three full days of fun on and off the ice. A rubber ducky theme was spread throughout the club in decorations, giveaways, and even participants in costume on and off the ice. In an interesting twist of fate, all three games of the final draw went to a ninth end - a first in Ardsley history, according to the elder statesmen of the club. Congratulations to the First Event Winners from the Nutmeg Curling Club - Skip Craig Doucette, Vice Mike McCarthy, Second Larry Bocchiere, and Lead Andrew Hancock. Nutmeg 1 - Doucette, put up a riveting fight over team Ardsley 1 - Beaton for the Cool Duck Trophy. This bonspiel is a MUST for all new curlers.
These popular bonspiels began in the GNCC. The first Women's Challenge event was held at Norfolk, CT in 1991 and was an official GNCC event. In 1993 the USWCA adopted the plan for a Women's Challenge to be held in each region/area of the United States. These events have become so popular that the USWCA now sponsors an Open Five Year and Under Bonspiel along with the Five Year and Under Women's Challenge.
In addition to being a terrific opportunity for newer curlers, the goal of these events is to give newer curlers a chance to experience a bonspiel, along with other clubs' participants with similar skill levels, meet other new curlers, and play positions they normally wouldn't play. It is felt that the curlers will feel less concern about attending regular bonspiels after they have played against others with the same experience.
There are beautiful traveling award plaques provided by the USWCA for the winning rinks in each bonspiel. Special pins are presented to winners and runners-up in four events.
All curlers with five years or less curling experience are eligible to participate. Membership in the USWCA is not necessary but in order to host one of the events, the host club must be a member. The Women's Challenge is made up of women's teams, but the Open Event may have teams made up of any combination. Team members do not have to all belong to the same curling club.
An Eligibility Form must accompany the Event Entry. The Eligibility Form must be signed by a Curling Club Officer, and verifies that each team member meets the criteria for under five years of curling. New curlers may curl in more than one Area and in either or both the USWCA sponsored 5 & Under Women's Challenge and the 5 & Under Open Challenge. Support the 5 & Under bonspiels in your Area but be aware of the opportunities to also curl in 5 & Under bonspiels across the country.
Host clubs may welcome curlers from all 5 Areas, but should give priority to teams from their Area.